Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Why the little plastikk qube

To begin it all, I'd like to say that if I were to be an object, I'd most likely choose to be a transparent cube made of cheap plastic. Not acrylic, but the type of plastic that you make those capsules with little toys inside that come out of machines when you put a dollar in. The cube that is me would be about 5cm by 5cm by 5cm, just nice to hold in your palm. The plastic would be around 5mm thick, with no visible seams. And completely empty. I'd like to think of the centre as a complete vacuum, but I guess it would probably have trace amounts of air in it.



Of course, being a cube, this object would probably stack very efficiently, along with many other cubes of the same type and size, all transparent, like perfectly shaped ice cubes sitting within an invisible 3-dimensional grid made visible by the distortion of light. Some of these other cubes would contain gases of varying properties - light helium, flammable hydrogen - some pungent, some corrosive, some inert. All of which are completely transparent and invisible.

No comments: