Monday, January 29, 2007

Ornate Maze Construction

This one actually brings me back to one of my favourite pastimes long long ago - drawing mazes. Can you believe that I actually filled an entire piece of mahjong paper with a giant maze once... with passageways like 5mm wide. Took me damn long to do that... and I have no idea where it went.

Drawing mazes are somewhat therapeutic. You have to follow a strict set of rules in order to make a maze work, and to make it an enjoyable maze for someone to complete, you need a sense of anticipation of which path people are most likely to take. It's a craft that needs a lot of patience as well - a slip of the pen and you could close up the last path that leads to the end, making the maze unsolvable.


This is a simple maze inspired by a Chinese pattern I saw recently. I added some extra ornamentation just to make it look nicer, but most of the time my mazes would be purely circulation paths.


No comments: