Friday, February 23, 2007

Bumping into a Little Creature


Was experimenting with this style of illustration - it's pretty much the same way I did Nitro and the Dragon, but I wanted flat, bright colours that are somewhat like that of a children's story book. Here we see a lady purple dreadlocks/chicken/slug thing with her elephant/polar bear/skullface husband encountering a little seal along the way.

Some people ask me where on earth do I ideas for all these characters, and the truth is... I don't really know.

I played this game with a friend once where we drew random shapes on a piece of paper and had to fill in details so the shapes made sense ... or looked like something. I guess that's how these things are conceived - your pen just randomly moves around until u chance upon something that looks good to you, then you bring your idea to life.

Unfortunately, I realise that's how I design many other things as well - banking on pure chance and intuition, then riding the wave once you catch onto something. That's BAD when it comes to more function-driven design, for the record.

No comments: